January 11, 2009

Philippines ..The Crew...

You've seen and read my perspective. Here's the perspective from each of our 10 team members. 

"Love is a force that can drive you to the ends of the earth. And also give all you got, till you have no more. I'm very bless to be on this trip. I gotten to see what the word "poor" really means. In my western thinking of the word "Poor"; not having food, not having somewhere you can call home, not having money or even status. But, from what I have seen; words can't really say. And what words would you use? Deficient, Inadequate, Weak, Unfertile, Unfortunate, or Unhappy? I don't know? From my point of view; I can see what "poor" really means in the eyes of these kids.
Interacting with thses kids; God is creating me a new found passion for childern. And it not from hearing these sobie stories or seeing there situation but, it's the way the Lord Loves his childern and he let's them come to him. I'm falling in love with Childerns Minstry. I'm having a great time and I seeing God moving here in Cebu, Phillipines. I've already starting to plan for next trip to the Phillipines."  
I Love you Mom, I Love you dad.
- Tou Thao (senior) 
Intercultural Studies Major
1st Hmong Alliance Church
Aurora, IL

MY fav was having to get a Filipino woman to walk me through the stray dogs... Five of them stood there in the dark barking at me. Oh, and the cock fight... scariest thing on earth.
- Shaquala Fields (Sophomore)
Social Work Major
Christ Tabernacle Church
Bronx, NY

So far, my favorite experience has been going back to the Cemetery Church. The first time I came here (Jan 2008) I was so shocked and overwhelmed. Simply at the fact of where it was, then coming to find out that this is not just a location for a church because folks have no where else to go, but that this church was slap in the middle of an actual community! My heart was so touched and convicted the first time because it hit me that "this is why Christ came and died...these are the people that are on his heart." Walking around and seeing trash that had been there for years, roosters and goats, drugs and other hazardous substances, but in the midst of that, God raised up men and women with a burning passion to reach out to those that most "western sunday church goers" wouldn't dare come near to. It brought me back to reality, back to what really mattered in life. Lost souls coming back to God, and us walking in Luke 9:23.
SO going back for me really put a smile on my face as it once again helped to awake the unquenchable passion on the inside of me that is sometimes stumbles in the fog of America's "ME ME ME" society. I can definitely see myself coming back and giving away my life, if it's God's will...
- Andrew 'Scooby' John (Junior)
Theology/Communications Major
Miller Evangelical Christian Union Church
Brooklyn, NY

The smell of feces, mother goats nursing their young sucklings, squawking cocks stand as champions on top of their elevated platforms, plywood and tin roofs lean on each other creating haven for a whole village. webs of wires connect houses to electricity and serve as clothing lines where sun bleached linens are left to hang and dry.  kids run and climb, duck and hide in this village, as most kids do, playing in heaps of trash making the most unusefull items useful. the property value was ideal in this neighborhood, of course for those seeking residency for eternity. the land is rich, but a different kind of rich.  you see, this is a community that has inhabited a cemetery.  Dilapidated tombs serve as ally walls, and are like brownstone stoops familiar to urban youth hanging out.  Lorega, a cemetery filled with squatters, stray dogs, cats and debris.  And in the midst of that was "The Cemetary Church" where we joined the people of Lorega for worship.  The kids had a blast saying hello and gracing out hands with their foreheads as if accepting our blessings.  I walked away distraught and hopeful, in holy discontent. 
- Jerrel Burney (2nd Year ATS student)
Urban Ministries
Shepherd's House Open Bible Church
Harlem, NY

Today is a week since we arrived to the Philippines and I have had so many great lessons that it is hard to chose one. I have concluded that my most favorite however is of the day in which we took the kids from Rick and Ji Ji's tuttoring program - who have the best attendance - to get new pairs of sandals at the market. It was quite a significant day for them because affording a pair of comfortable and fitting sandals does not happen very often as it does for us. For them it was a major event. In addition, after purchasing a pair of their choice, we surprised them by taking them to Jollibee -the MacDonald's of the Philippines. They were smiling, cheering and jumping of joy. The majority of them had never been to that place. 
This great and heartmoving experience was a major eye-opener to me; in it I was able to see how happy the things that we take for granted made them.  It also called me to humble myself more and to have a greater heart for the poor. 
- Diana Marino (Senior)
Social Work Major
Iglesia de Dios Ministerial
Woodside, Queens

Favorite Part of Trip: The tutorial: Sitting in a burning hot kitchen with at least 15 kids helping them do puzzles and book work.  Also seeing old friends again and reminicing about last years experience and finding out new thins about them.
- Andrew Ignacio (Senior)
Intercultural Studies Major
Teaneck, NJ

I don't know where to start...I came not expecting anything but that God would show me his love and grace in the people of Cebu, Philippines--those he has made for his image and likeness.  It has been a week and God has allowed us to participate in tons of His work while here--in Cebu.  Though I can't share all, I will share one.  We had an opportunity to meet a lot of kids...but there was one girl who has down syndrome in the community and one thing about the culture and norms of Filipino's is that they are always in a group.  However, this girl since I've met her our first week hasn't been in groups but lonely in front of the church or even in youth group meetings.  I had the opportunity to introduce myself and minister to her by letting her know that she is beautiful.  At first she was very very very shy (like most Filipinos') but as I sat next to her in youth group meeting and had Andres take pictures of her and us...she is feeling special...so special that when I asked her a simple question and placed my hand on her shoulder she began to whip her tears.  Constantly tearing because she is someone, she is being served and loved.  She is noticed and admire for her dignity and worth and she has been told more and more that she is beautiful.  Now when I see her, she has the biggest smile out of all the children that run to us.  She puts her hair down and can't stop smiling...I believe all was possible because we love....because Death is at work in us so life can be at work in someone else...that is the Gospel my friends!  
- Abe Emile (Senior)
Social Work Major
Beraca Baptist Church
Brooklyn, NY

" We think we are helping the children in this impoverished neighborhood.   In fact, they are giving us more than we give. They are teaching us  how you can have hope and dream in distressed condition, how to greet and accept people, and how important each one of us is."
- Dr. Kwi Yun
Head of the Social Work Department at Nyack College
Field Professor for Trip
Central Presbyterian Church
Merrick, NY

I have been coming to Cebu since 1996 and this is I beleive my tenth trip to the Philippines. I love the country and its people for the love and hospitality that they so openly share with you.
This is the second year that I have had the privilege of joining a class of Nyack College and Alliance Theological Seminary students for a Winterim course in the Philippines. Once again I am amazed at the quality of students that are on this trip. Their spiritual vibrance, compassion, ability to engage the people and culture, and the depth of discussions about what we are experiencing and learning is remarkable.
For me personally, I am encouraged by the faithfulness of those that we have partnered with over the past twelve years and how God has done incredible things in and through their lives. In particular, it is great to see the impact that Rick and JiJi Harner (both alumni of Nyack College and ATS) are having with children and youth through educational ministry. I am challenged once again to consider my commitment to investing in those closest to me.
- Dr. David Jennings
Executive Vice President and Treasurer at Nyack College
In Country Guide
New Life Church
Queens, NY

I have so many memories and images etched in my mind and heart I will never forget. I love the third world and this beautiful country is no exception. My favorite time is spent with kids, loving on them, hearing them, watching them, photographing them and learning from them. Despite their dire circumstances I see them always smiling, being content with the little to nothing they have and loving us like we are celebrities. We don't deserve this love poured on us by these people, yet I am so grateful and humbled to be able to experience and learn so much about contentment, about compassion and about love. 
- Andres Valenzuela
 Director of Student Financial Services at Nyack College
Photographer for Trip
Risen King Alliance Church
Quito, Ecuador

No comments: