January 24, 2009

Philippines Day 11...

Today we got to walk around in the community and went to visit Lionela's home in a nearby community. A lot of these photos were taken as we walked through this beautiful country. I was fascinated by observing everyday life unfolding around us....

Everywhere we went we saw little kids laughing, smiling and loving life. One of the things that every kid around here plays is this game with their sandals. They put one of them upside down, throw the other one several feet away and then pick it up and try to hit the one and make it fly. So fun! but so hard! They laughed at me the first few times I tried it! 
 
I love the street art. Hopefully there's no profanity here! 

Some of the older kids and teens love arcade games. You find these in many spots throughout the different communities here. It costs $1 peso (1/3 of a US penny!!). 

This is the neighborhood where we stayed, Purok 7 in Nangka. 

I never did find out this boy's name but his eyes were so captivating to me. Just beautiful! 

Taking a break.....

Women sit in this position as they do laundry or wash dishes for hours!

In the neighborhood near Lionela's house there were kids everywhere. This is another little girl that smiled every time she saw me with the camera. so cute! 

A lot of homes are built up. Here's some kids looking down from theirs. 

I just can't take enough pictures of the children here....

I love the contrast here....

Kitchen....

This dude had some cool looking hair. Very unlike most of the other boys I had seen here. He even kind of posed for me. 

These are the stores that are everywhere where people get a lot of their daily needs. 

This evening we ended up at the mall to do some shopping before we headed back. To our surprise they were having a photo session and dancing for the annual Sinulog festival. Celebrating the Santo Senor Nino (the saint pictured here with one of the queens). There were some photographers in this section and I snuck in to the section to get some shots myself! :) 

Another one of the queens of the Sinulog....

and I found ANOTHER apple store! 

One of the only nights where we got to ride in the back of one of the Jeepneys so I was able to get some night traffic shots....

Back at Joy Ful Jiji got an opportunity to thank the group for coming to Cebu and share a bit about her life. Another great day.....

1 comment:

Dr Bennett said...

Great pictures. I believe it is "Santo Nino" (not Santo Senor Nino) although the chant is PIT Senor.

The doll she is holding is a replica of the actual Santo Nino image of Jesus (not a saint), which is housed in the church (except during Sinulog).

But I could be wrong. It's 20 years since I lived in Cebu.